Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rucker results in for Darebin Council elections

The Rucker results for the Darebin Council elections went up on the web not long ago and they show strong performances by the ALP's Diana Asmar and Trent McCarthy, a new and welcome Green on Council.

Both candidates exceeded a 30 per cent primary vote, with Trent McCarthy well supported by Helen Brown, number two on the Greens ticket. Steven Tsitas was also returned, though needing the surplus votes and preferences of other candidates to achieve the necessary quota. My congratulations to our three new Rucker Ward Councillors.

As for myself, I am pleased to have come so high up in the primaries (1212 first-preference votes), but disappointed that the 'independent' vote was shared with two candidates whose preferences stood to favour the ALP. I congratulate John Karantzis as a fellow independent for his strong showing in such difficult circumstances.

That's it for the moment. Hopefully we'll have some other new faces on Council when the results are finalised, and I'll comment further when the smoke has cleared.

Again, thank you to everyone who voted for me and supported my campaign!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are most welcome on any of the posts at Northcote Independent. I encourage feedback - positive or negative. Feel free to disagree, but remember that posts are moderated to ensure they are on the topic and in the spirit of open debate, as outlined in my editorial policy.